Monday 5 May 2014

To wander, to be lost...

“As it fell upon a day
In the merry month of May,
Sitting in a pleasant shade
Which a grove of myrtles made.” 
- Richard Barnfield

Lovelies,
          http://comtesse-du-chocolat.tumblr.com/post/84824855413/the-more-i-know-of-the-world-the-more-i-am

Lately I've been thinking more and more about dedicating my life to travel, to read as much as I can about the world, and to paint my world and my inspirations more often.

I have encountered many happy moments and heartbreaking hours these past few weeks. How do I make sense of it all?
Outside, the world seems to slowly find it's way to revival. The grass is greener and I find that every so often, a warm breeze would pass my way which leaves a surge in my heart for something more.
I have dedicated some time to volunteer and spent more time in book stores, especially ones which will close its doors very soon. I have been planning for New York,  my first travel destination among many this summer.  So much planning, so much doing, so much dreaming.

It's also been a struggle to write lately. It's almost as if I'm holding myself back for some unknown reason. At one point, I would have focused hours on my short stories/novel and felt compelled to dedicate myself in this way.  Now, when I think about writing,  I would open my laptop (success), sit for a moment, and then move on to something else.
I have to find that stamina again, I must! No more hold-backs.

My round-up this past weekend:



On Saturday, it's the annual Free Comic Book Day! Of course, I went to my usual spot, the Silver Snail on Yonge Street. They had an anniversary sale, so I couldn't say no to picking up a few gems from  Marvel's Jane Austen series. I absolutely love the front cover of Northanger Abbey.

On Sunday, not only was it Star Wars Day, but it was also the 85th birthday of Audrey Hepburn, my lifelong role model. To celebrate, my Hepburn film of choice was Funny Face.




I love everything about this film: take Hepburn and Astaire and you've struck gold. Paris. The fact that her name is Jo (like yours truly!). The bookshop scene. Givenchy. The dancing. The singing. The bozazz!

Currently reading:



It's about time I read this book: my co-worker lent me her copy and with the movie soon to be released, my curiosity overwhelms me. Will let you know about my thoughts for this book soon!



I'm 3/4 through this book and already I don't want this book to end! Jo Baker writes with such poise and ease of the Austen world, it's almost as if I'm watching a BBC Drama Series (which I hope, they take this book on to adapt it onto the small screen!)
I'm thrilled to have met the author herself (and got my copy personally signed), she was truly a remarkable individual and I was glad that this book did justice on capturing the servant's perspective of the world of Longbourn. And yes, you will catch glimpses of Mr. Darcy in this book (to which I squee'd, obviously).



I enjoyed this book. The Museum of Extraordinary Things opens up to Coney Island in the early 20th century: an age of curiosities, wonder, and tragedy. The book is divided between two characters: one is Coralie, daughter of a Professor who houses a Museum of Natural Wonders, and the other is Eddie, a photographer who searches for answers amongst the cruel and exploitative world he's in.  The subject matter could be distressing and dark at times, but the writing haunts you as Hoffman weaves the storyline in a cinematic way that captures the love between two people. Would I read this again? Not really. Would I recommend this book to someone else? Indeed.


Until next time!

Jo

an owl post

No comments:

Post a Comment