Saturday 20 September 2014

September Love

“He found himself wondering at times, especially in the autumn, about the wild lands, and strange visions of mountains that he had never seen came into his dreams.”
 - J.R.R. Tolkien


Lovelies,

This summer has gone by so fast, I couldn't believe that already it was September. That meant to places to go to, new products to try, new book to read, and unique places to eat.


Travel

This year, it's all about Italia! From Florence to Capri, I will be taking shots and telling tales when I get back. I can imagine myself weeping with sheer joy every step I take. It really will be my own version of The Trip To Italy. Of course, I'll have my own Steve Coogan with me- one must bring their finest companion on board for travels like this.
I could not go to Italy without bringing a copy of Dante's The Divine Comedy. I fear I might break out bouts of Puccini as we're driving along the Tuscan countryside. Only the good Lord can judge me. Follow me on Instagram for the signts!


I had the extreme pleasure of being invited to The Drake's Devonshire for a night and I must say, it was one of the best experiences I had up at Prince Edward County. A review will be up shortly!

Things I'm currently loving: 

Arbonne Lip Liner in Pink Mauve
I am currently loving this shade and I've got asked about it on several occasions. The perfect lip colour for Autumn and I sometimes add a hint of gloss and you're good to go! Smudge-proof and long wearing.

Lip Liner Pink Mauve from Arbonne Canada
Living Proof Prime Style Extender, available at Sephora.
I swear by this product, and have even got a travel sized bottle of this stuff to bring with me to Europe. With my new digitally permed hair, I find I'm drawn towards hair masks and style creams: this one hits the spot: I use this right after my shower and it's a great product to use in between washes as it repels oil, weightless, and keeps your style in longer. No wonder it's got so much praise!



Currently Reading;


Summary (taken from Goodreads): 

In a finely woven series of flashbacks and correspondence, Lev Termen, the Russian scientist, inventor, and spy, tells the story of his life to his “one true love,” Clara Rockmore, the finest theremin player in the world. In the first half of the book, we learn of Termen’s early days as a scientist in Leningrad during the Bolshevik Revolution, the acclaim he receives as the inventor of the theremin, and his arrival in 1930s New York under the aegis of the Russian state. In the United States he makes a name for himself teaching the theremin to eager music students and marketing his inventions to American companies.

In the second half, the novel builds to a crescendo as Termen returns to Russia, where he is imprisoned in a Siberian gulag and later brought to Moscow, tasked with eavesdropping on Stalin himself. Throughout all this, his love for Clara remains constant and unflagging, travelling through the ether much like a theremin’s notes.Us Conductors is steeped in beauty, wonder, and looping heartbreak, a sublime debut that inhabits the idea of invention on every level.

So far I'm off to a great start: a story which weaves science and music together will host interesting questions and truths. The characters are riveting and I love how there are certain "cameos" of the greats at the time such as Glen Miller.

It was recently announced that this book has made it to the 2014 Scotiabank Giller Prize longlist!


Until next time! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment